Tuesday, March 6, 2012

A Step in the Right Direction

If you are my friend on Facebook, you may have read/commented on this post, "How do you moms out there get your children to nap? Zach just wont nap. ever. even when he's super tired." I got tons of good advice and I knew it was time to let him cry it out. So I set up a routine where I give him some snuggles and pats on the back for a few minutes and lay him in his crib. He got a musical elephant (like a musical bear, but an elephant) from my uncle, so I decided that would be his nap time trigger. When I put him down, I pull the elephant tail and walk out of the room.

I first did this on Monday for his first nap. He only cried for about 20 minutes and slept for an hour. I was quite pleased and he seemed pretty happy after his nap. The second nap didn't go so well. And by bed time, he was so tired he fell asleep before I had a chance to put him down which was fine with me because I didn't have it in me to listen to him cry it out for a third time.

Today he slept in his car seat while we ran errands so I did not get to try nap time again. But tonight, Jacob put him down and pulled the elephant tail walked out and we barely heard a peep! Go Zach!! Thank you everyone for the advice!

1 comment:

Jessica :) said...

My little one was a poor napper, too. Until we started the crying it out. Some people really hate it but gosh it works! Good luck with the continued routine and successful naps!