Friday, April 7, 2017

Welcome to the World, Eric Spencer


Little Eric was due to arrive on February 27th. Not wanting to wait that long quite possibly longer, my doctor agreed that inducing me at 39 weeks would be okay, seeing as I have big babies and generally quick labors.

We arrived at the hospital a little after 6:30 a.m. I walked up to the Labor and Delivery doors which are big double doors and usually there is someone outside, but there was no one there so I used the intercom button and said, "I am here to be induced..." They let us come back with no questions asked, not even my name. We got us all situated in a room and I met my nurse. I can't remember her name, but she was older and friendly. I got my I.V. put in and my blood work done. I was already to go and then we sat and waited for the doctor. And waited, and waited. Finally at 8:30, the doctor came in and broke my water. He said I was dilated to about a two which hadn't changed since my last office visit.

After the excitement of the water breaking had died down, Jacob and I decided to go on a walk around the Labor and Delivery floor. We walked over to postpartum to see what the recovery rooms looked like and found the snack room. Jacob was helping himself to a snack when my water started gushing everywhere. I left a huge puddle on the floor and dripped all the way back to my room. So embarrassing. I had to rinse off and get a clean hospital gown. I felt like I had to go to the bathroom every 5 minutes and every time I moved more "water" would gush out. I rinsed off at least one other time.

We went on at least two more walks, but I was so tired from going to bed too late the night before that I just didn't feel like walking anymore. Jacob left to go get lunch and I just sat in bed. I noticed that if I leaned slightly forward I would have contractions. So I sat in bed, doing the butterfly stretch, leaning slightly forward. By 2:15ish I was having hard contractions and I was ready for the epidural. I was dilated to a 5 at that point. The anesthesiologist  was in a C-Section and couldn't leave. After the longest hour of my life, my BFF Cory, came in and got me all numbed up. At that point I was at a 7. Then the shakes set in. I got a warm blanket and watched my contractions on the monitor. I could feel the pushing pressure but didn't want to call the nurse to check me too early. So I waited until I was positive it was time to go. I called the nurse in at 4:15 and she said it was time to push. The room was already set up with all the instruments, carts, and what not. The resident doctor came in and had me start pushing, my actual doctor followed shortly, just in time for the tail end of the delivery. After 2 sets of pushes, Eric Spencer arrived at 4:24 p.m., 8 lbs 4 oz, 21 inches long.

The nurse laid him on my chest and there were so many people surrounding me and Eric, Jacob wasn't very close to us. The doctor and the resident, finishing up their work, two nurses touching Eric's lip and mouth, which they determined was a slight cleft, my nurse, rubbing Eric with a towel, and probably more people around. Its all a blur. Soon everything died down and we got to cuddle Eric a little. The pediatrician said I wouldn't be able to breast feed Eric because of his cleft, and they wanted to do the first feeding in the NICU. Jacob got to be the first to feed him. He went off with the baby and I ordered a big burger and fries, cookies and a milkshake! It was actually kind of nice to have a little quiet time. Zach and Sommer came with my parents to meet their new baby brother while Jacob was still feeding Eric and anxiously waited to meet their baby brother. And by that I mean, they found our tablets and played on those. They were both very sweet when they finally met him. Zach wanted to hold him and Sommer wasn't so sure.
One of the perks of bottle feeding...
The best part of a newborn... All the cuddles!
We are anxiously waiting for Eric's cleft lip surgery. I curious to see what his "new" face will look like. I don't even see the cleft anymore and I love his face just the way it is, but I know its something that has to be fixed. The surgery will happen the day after Mother's Day, May 15th. Until then we'll soak in all the cleft we can.

1 comment:

Familia CedeƱo said...

You look great! I am so glad everything turned out well for your beautiful baby! Keep in touch!!