Wednesday, May 4, 2011

Lessons Learned

I am thirteen weeks along! Almost out of the first trimester, and I have learned a lot. Some I would have rather not learned at all, but this is my reminder check list for the second time around.

(I have to apologize for excessive barf talk in the first 2 lessons. It happens to pregnant people.)

1. ALWAYS keep a barf bag in the car. The night this most important lesson was learned, Jacob and I were going to go to the movies, but I was extremely hungry and I had eaten pretty much everything in the house so we stopped at Wendy's. I thought I could handle a cup of chili. I could not. We were pulling off the freeway and I knew the next few moments were not going to be pretty. All I had was the paper Wendy's bag. Not to be too gruesome, but I exploded. The bag broke and so not only was I covered in regurgitated chili, so was the floor of the car. It was a huge mess. We pulled over into a Target parking lot and dumped the bag on the ground. An older lady was quite unhappy and made it verbally known by yelling some unhappy words as we drove off. We went home and I scraped the chunks off myself while Jacob scraped chunks off the car carpet. And after all of that, we made it to the movies on time!

There is a permanent bag on the floor and it has been replaced more than once.

2. Don't Eat Healthy. I tried to eat healthy. I honestly tried. The official "Does Not Sit Well List:" Yogurt. Bananas. Salad. The salad is a recent development. The Yogurt and Bananas I learned really early on. For whatever reason overly processed foods that can sit for years and not go bad have been working really well. Like these:My poor little baby.

3. Take Baths. When ever I was just feeling lousy, I took a nice warm LONG bath. When the water got cold, I'd let some go down the drain, and fill up the tub with more warm water. I sat there until I was too pruney to function. Then I would go to bed and life was wonderful. My parents are probably grateful that my bath addiction is not on their water bill.

4. Fro Yo Loves Mom's. Today I took the little boy I babysit on a walk. We walked past a frozen yogurt place called Twizzle Berry and the owner was driving out of the parking lot as I was crossing the driveway. I stopped to take my jacket off and the owner pulled over. At first I thought he was going to yell at me about something or tell me something was wrong with the little boy but he handed me a $5 dollar gift certificate and said, "You deserve this. Have a happy mothers day." So it wasn't my child, but I figured being pregnant deserved a gift certificate too.

My last rule would be do not move. But that's kind of an unavoidable rule that I wish were true pregnant or not.

4 comments:

The Pixton Family said...

Loved this post! Can't believe you are having a baby. I feel really old!

Laura Hayes said...

Ugh! So much of pregnancy is just YUCKY! Zofran really helped me with my nausea--I took it up to 28 weeks. Hope you get feeling better soon! That's really impressive you still made it to the movies! :)

Kelly said...

I got sick like you did and I learned all those lessons as well. My main job was to try to keep food down while on BART! It will not last forever; it will only seem like forever!

Jon said...

What I learned during your mother's pregnancy--Before your mother was pregnant with Christian, she bragged that she had not vomited in 20 or so years. She could, I think, just like Jerry Seinfeld, remember the date of the last time she chucked up. I was not happy to have her lord this over me, as I vomit once a month or so, whether I need to or not. Always have, always will. Two months is probably my record for not puking.

During her pregnancy with Christian, she would get stomach aches. She would say that she had to puke, but she never did. Despite my secret desire that her streak would end, her record remained in tact.

Then one day, she lost it. She was upset that her record had come to an end. She felt much like Dimaggio must have felt at the end of his 56 game hitting streak. She was upset. Not me, I gloated around the house, singing that the mighty had fallen, or if not fallen, had blown chunks.

My victory lap quickly came to an end. Your mother gave me one of those looks that made me think that my celebration, if not misplaced, should have at least be done in silence. If she could have let some go at my feet, I think that she would have done so with happiness. And so I learned a lesson that day. What that lesson is I will let you decide.