Monday, February 22, 2010

A Passionata Flop

When I saw Passionata in my baking book, I knew one day I would make it. Little did I know it would be for my midterm this semester. Passionata has a meringue disk base, pineapple simmered in vanilla syrup and rum flavoring, and the pineapple is covered with passion fruit Bavarian cream, then those layers are repeated, surrounded by toasted coconut flakes. Its supposed to be topped with a glaze, but the glaze just did not happen. Thankfully the presentation wasn't marked off for not having a glaze because my teacher wanted us to test a short cut that didn't work. In fact, it failed miserably, which is why the top is just the Bavarian cream and pineapple. The glaze topping makes the dessert look very elegant. The pineapple, also my teachers idea, made it look worse, in my opinion.Despite the looks of it, Jacob really likes it, so at least I did something right! When he opens the fridge he says, "Dessert Stuff" in a yoda-ish slow sort of way and takes a few bites.

So there you have it. Passionata. Thank heavens I was only graded on taste.

Today I am thankful for pillows.

2 comments:

Jon said...

This is not my type of dessert. Too much fruity stuff, not enough cake or cookie. But you get an A for effort.

Kate Curtis said...

Well I got an A for taste, so you can save your A for effort.