Monday, August 30, 2010

Mesa Falls Half Marathon

Jacob and I ran the Mesa Falls Half Marathon on Saturday. We finished before our goal time of two hours and thirty minutes but we still ran really slow now that I think about it. I am really glad Jacob was there with me because we kept each other going. I just don't think I could have done that all by myself.

Getting ready to run!
The course started down hill on a gravel trail big enough for an ATV to go through. So there was a lot of running over bushes to pass people. We ran ahead of people and finally found a good spot where people were running on the right and passing on the left. At mile 3 we made it on to pavement and at mile 4 we started up hill for the next 2.8 miles. The rest of the race was rolling hills and the last mile was through the town of Ashton until we ended at a park. We saw an old roommate of mine, who we ran with for the first little bit. She set a pretty good pace for us and was keeping time.

I will explain my emotions mile by mile

Mile 1 - Wheres the mile marker sign?

Mile 2 - We ran 2 miles in 18 minutes. Sweet.

Mile 3 - 27 minutes. Still doing good.

Mile 4 - Headed up hill. Feeling great because we're passing walkers. Lost Serena who started HAULING up the hill. Never saw her again until we spotted her getting a free massage.

Mile 5 & 6 - Just keep swimming (running), just keep swimming (running).

Mile 7 - Half way there!!! We're actually going to do it!

Mile 8 - These rolling hills are making this a whole lot harder.

Mile 9 - We're actually going to do this!

Mile 10 - This should be over now. I took off the iPod and shoved it down my shirt and started running with my hands on my hips for a while. I felt a lot more comfortable like that.

Mile 11- Please stop. Please stop.

Mile 12 - Where is the finish line. At this point we were running on city streets in a lane made with orange traffic cones. It felt like it just kept going and going and going.

Mile 13 - WE MADE IT!!!Once we stopped running our bodies tightened completely. It was painful to walk or move. Someone finished a couple of seconds a head of us and he was on his three hundredth marathon! I don't know how people have the knees for that!

We got free massages to help stretch us out and ate the free food that was provided, went home, got cleaned up and slept.

Sunday we were VERY VERY sore. Our legs and shoulders we stiffer than stiff. We looked pretty ridiculous waddling around on Sunday and today we are feeling much much better.

We felt such a great sense of accomplishment afterward. Believe it or not we are ready for another but all the races are coming to a close at least for Idaho/Utah area this year.

1 comment:

Jessica :) said...

I know I'm a little slow, but way to go!!! That is quite the accomplishment - one I would be afraid to even attempt!!