Sunday, November 14, 2010

A Pie Maker and Distance Runner

This week at work my boss told me to sharpen pencils for his grandchildren. He has 43 of them so there was a lot of sharpening to be done. If you happened to look at my facebook that day, you saw that I was not very happy about this. Here I am, 22 years old, college graduate, and I am sharpening pencils. Where did I go wrong in my life? I have nothing to show for 22 years. So I decided I had to do something about it.

I called Jacob while he was at work because I actually was really upset about this and he told me to think about things I actually wanted to do. And so I thought of things... lots of things. But a lot of my ideas would require money to buy equipment to get started. Like a sewing machine, or a chocolate tempering machine so I can make all sorts of candies. So, I decided to break out my baking book and master pie. Last year at this time I was getting ready to make my first pie for a baking test and I had Jacob's mom walk me through the process. And we made a dang good apple pie if you ask me. With the apple pie under my belt I decided to make my first ever berry pie! Blueberry and blackberry It was a process, but it was absolutely delicious. I learned to keep the top crust thick on these types of pies so the gooey filling doesn't start to seep through like it did on mine and if I do a lattice top again, I will make sure the filling is all the way chilled so it won't be as runny. It made for hard lattice making conditions. I also forgot to pinch the crust on the edges to make it look nicer. All in all, it was a very good pie. My official taste tester, Jacob approved too. The only thing missing was some french vanilla ice cream! Next up, pumpkin pie!

I also decided that next year I am going to run a marathon. Don't know where and I don't know when, but its happening. So get ready treadmill, we'll be pounding some miles out together this winter. I don't have to buy anything for that! ... Just the money to register for the race.

As of today, I am a 22 year old self proclaimed pie master and distance runner. Next on my list of self proclaimed mastery? I don't know but I am open to any ideas.

In other news, Jacob graduated from Man to Manly Man when he replaced a car battery for the very first time. It was a very cold morning. Look at where the battery was bolted down. Did Kia just assume this battery would never have to be changed? Jacob got it done and our car has not had any more problems!

1 comment:

The Smiths said...

The pie looks scrumptious! You two are so very good for each other. We look forward to seeing you over the holidays:)

Natalie