Sunday, October 11, 2009

Photo Shoots and the Gem State

My roommates/best friends and I have taken pictures just about every semester. So, even though we aren't roommates anymore, we decided to keep up the tradition. They are just about the best friends a person could ask for. Annalise isn't afraid to put me in my place and she is always ready to listen to any problem. Amy is always full of smiles no matter what is happening. Plus, we laugh a lot. I just love them!
Here is one of me and Jacob.
With the recent weather changes from Summer to Fall, I have really been down on eastern Idaho. Considering I am stuck here for a while, I decided to make a list of eastern Idaho gems that I can come back to and look at when its negative 10 and windy to remind myself of the good things that are here.

1. Florence's Exquisite Candy and Sarah's Candy Cottage. I love candy and I have a great appreciation for any fine confection. It's not easy! Plus Sarah's Candy Cottage has the best gelato I've found in eastern Idaho.

2. Five Guys Burgers and Fries. This reminded me a lot of In-N-Out. It has a really simple menu and a GREAT hamburger and the french fries were really good too. Jacob and I went for the first time yesterday and I do plan on going back. The burger wasn't too messy and tasted fresh.

3. Sand dunes. Whats so good about huge piles of sand? Not much. But if you're out there at night and look up, you can see the milky way and every inch of the sky is filled with stars. Really beautiful. Plus, there have been many roasted marshmallows and smores made there. You just have to watch out for the four wheelers.

4. Taco Bus. It is a school bus that has been pitted and half of it is a kitchen and the other half is for sitting and eating. This is hands down the most authentic Mexican food you'll find around here and it is amazing. The best part is that it is right around the corner from our house so on our way home from school we can get a nice big whiff of it and it makes our mouths water every time.

5. Yellowstone. Not exactly in eastern Idaho, but we are close. It is just so relaxing there and spotting all the animals is fun too.

6. Lava Hot Springs. A nice place to warm up in the winter. The town is so cute and quaint too. Jacob and I plan on going down there for a weekend during the winter to really find out the value of this gem.

7. Rigby Lake. The closest thing you'll get to a beach during the hot summer.

8. Rutabagas. This restaurant gave me hope for Idaho Falls. This is fine American dining that could have came straight out of San Francisco. Its way too expensive for me and Jacob, but I am pretty sure we'll be there any time my parents come to town. The desserts are to die for too.

9. Good ol' redneck demolition derby's. Cars crashing into each other until their radiators explode. Need I say more?

And when I'll all else fails I'll always have my best friends with me!

3 comments:

Daily Harold said...

Kate - I love your list of "good" memories. Those little things will stay with you forever. Now I want to come visit so I can enjoy those things again too! I love you! Cheryl

Kat Curtis said...

I should do the same thing for when the wind picks up like crazy in Lubbock. :) I think the #1 will be that it thankfully doesn't get to be -10 in the winter - blech!

Ryan and Annalise said...

I just love you!!!