Saturday, October 24, 2009

Welcoming Fall and Presidents Club

I love when the leaves change colors. Its my favorite part of fall. And being able to wear all of my sweaters again. Jacob and I have been decorating our apartment to welcome the new season. We bought leaves at the Family Dollar and put them above our living room window. We also got a fall wreath for the door and a pumpkin napkin holder.






We aren't allowed to put anything outside of our doors because its a fire hazard so we decided not to carve a pumpkin. Whats the point if you can't put it outside? So we made a haunted gingerbread house instead.









Here is Jacob blowing a bubble inside of a bubble. Impressive.









And whats a blog post with out mentioning a cooking adventure? This weekend all of the people who donate a lot of money to the school came for what is called Presidents day club weekend. The culinary program was assigned to put together some hors d'oeuvres while President Clark greeted people through a reception line. So, we were put into partners and assigned to come up with a hors d'oeuvres to be served. Everything was so delicious! There were dates and cheese wrapped in bacon and baked, skewers with tortelinni and cherry tomatoes marinated in a dill vinagiarette, open face egg rolls with shrimp, mini pastry puff sandwhiches with chicken and spinach dip inside. I cant remember the rest but it was all really good. Here is a picture of some of the other things we served. I am so happy I got to take some left overs home!The boat looking thing is a cookie with chocolate mousse with a vanilla wafer. Next to boat are mini apple turnovers. In the next row on the right there are pumpkin rolls and next to those on the left are yellow cakes with a vanilla glaze. The pumkin rolls and the cakes were my favorite. Then there are chocolate covered brownies. Those aren't very good. I must say I was a little annoyed when students who were asked to mingle came to eat our food! There were no left overs of the savory items we had made. People came up to us wanting the recipes and the flattering thing is that Sister Clark (the "first lady" of BYU-I) said she had no idea that these hors d'oeuvres were made by students until someone told her.

People have been asking Jacob if I make him big delicious meals all the time. The truth is what I make at home is quick and easy or on Sundays it is something I can throw in the crock pot and forget about because it takes a lot of time to prepare the food we make in class. Not that the crock pot doesn't make delicious meals. The are really good! But he does get fresh french bread, bagels, doughnuts and soon he will get a pie and blueberry muffins! Yum!

3 comments:

Jon said...

Was Jacob blowing a bubble in the bubble the entertainment for the President's Club?

Kate Curtis said...

no. but he would have been a hit!

Lara Leigh said...

I had no idea that Jacob was a double bubble blower! I too am very impressed.....and funny story about your blonde morning!! I had to laugh:)