Thursday, September 24, 2009

A Pen and 7.75

So, a little bit about my work. I am the secretary for Student Living. www.byui.edu/studentliving/ Its kind of a big deal this semester. The whole model was taken to Salt Lake and approved by President Monson, his first councilors and the rest of the people on the board. So it is official. Room assistants out, Student Living in. That's not what I was going to talk about though. People often ask me about what exactly Student Living is, and the link will give you a brief description of what it is all about.

Today, the other secretary that works next to me and I were told to write down some office supplies that we needed. All we had were sharpies to write with, so we asked for pens, post it notes, a mini fridge and candy. The fact that we were even asked to write what we wanted down is huge. After our bosses reviewed our list, we each got one pen, which just doesn't happen in that office so I had a feeling that this might be a very good day.

Anyways, I have been working there for a year now. A whole year! My boss, Brother Dougherty and I realized that today when we were talking in his office. (He is the one in the back laughing and pointing at the guy who just got hit with water.) (And thank you to Jenni Woodmansee who put a good word in for me a year ago. He even said today, you are the reason I have this job. Thank you Jenni! I hope your rash is getting better!) Today Brother Doughterty asked me to water and prune his ivy. Then he joked about Jacob chapter 5 in the Book of Mormon and asked if I would dung the ivy too. I said, water and pruning I could do, but I might have some problems finding dung, to which he responded, "You know, pray for things and they will come."

Before brother Dougherty left today, I got a message in my inbox from him with the subject line "thank you," and this is what the e-mail said:


Kate, you are now making $7.75/hour. You deserve it. Thank you for all of your great work! Brother Dougherty

I wrote back and promised to dung his plant.

I am pretty sure a raise just doesn't happen for student employees. A 25 cent raise after a year is great. But its really not about the 25 cents. I was just fine with 7.50. Its just that.... this really doesn't happen! So a year later I have 7.75 and a pen. A lot to be happy about and a very good day indeed.

2 comments:

Jenni said...

OH KATE!!! Thanks for the shout out :) And you are EVER so welcome for the good word! I knew you were perfect for the job, and wanted you working beside me!

I'm OOOOOZING WITH JEALOUSY!!!!!!!! I miss you all SO BAD!!!!! Who is the SRC sec now? Is it weird without Brother T? Oh gosh, I want to come visit so so so bad! How is Brother D's new baby? You totally own that joint by now! You deserve it girl! I miss you all SO SO SO SO MUCH!!!!! Working with you was such a delight every single day.

And don't worry... someday that office will have a constant candy supply... someday

haha!!!!

Jon said...

Have you seen the 30 Rock where Jack goes to work for Homeland Security, and they get all excited to get pens. See if you can get it on Hulu. Enjoy your pen.