Sunday, December 5, 2010

A More Serious Post (a little on the venting side)

I, Kate Curtis, am a free woman. Still happily hitched to Jacob. :)

Winter in the fencing industry is really slow. Especially this year. The laborers were all done with their fences a week before Thanksgiving and when I got back from my Californiacation, work was deadly slow. I went a week with out doing a lick of work. So my bosses came to me and said they just didn't have anything more for me to do and told me I looked extremely bored, gave me a check in the sum of what they would have paid me for the winter (two or two and a half months...) and I am out of there!

I have been loving the last two days. I have applied for part time work here and there and only one of them was for a secretarial position. In all honesty though, I am done being a secretary. I've been someone's secretary since I was 16. And I'll prove it. Here's working past, starting from the beginning. (Its boring, this is for my venting purposes.)

Junior Clerk - City Manager and Mayor's Office
File Clerk - Berg Injury Lawyers
File Clerk - Sarrail Lynch and Hall (Now Sarrail, Castillo and Hall)
Receptionist - Movers International Group
Administrative Assistant - City of Alameda
Sales and Marketing Intern - Volterra Semiconductor
Student Secretary - BYU - Idaho
Office Manager - Western Fence

And that is not including the time I worked at Curves or as a math tutor. YIKES!

So I have decided, I am done being someones secretary. Unless I have to support my family in the future. I would rather sell baked goods door to door or at a farmers market right now.

I have been so happy the last few days and so much more relaxed. So I feel really comfortable right now being more adventurous in my money making endeavors and I am excited to see what I can do on my own!

2 comments:

The Pixton Family said...

Enjoy the time off!

Kat Curtis said...

Kate, good for you! And awesome for your employers to pay you for the whole winter - they must be good people. Good luck with everything!!